Working Group on the Health Impacts of Climate Change
The Working Group on Climate Change and Health was launched in early 2018 in recognition of the urgency of addressing challenges at the intersection of health and climate change. The mandate of the Working Group is to identify knowledge gaps through CCGHR individual and institutional members, to communicate the current state of knowledge, and raise awareness of drivers for and changes in climate-related health.
- 2020 webinar series
- Annotated Bibliography: Student and Young Professional members of this Working Group are compiling key publications as a future resource for CCGHR members.
- We are currently testing a listserv as a first step to developing a community of practice around climate change and health, which CCGHR members can request to join.
- Policy Briefs focused on climate change and chronic conditions, infectious diseases and health systems were developed to inform the 2018 CIHR-IDRC consultations on global health.
- 2018-2019 Webinar Series hosted by members:
- April 27, 2018 “Building Climate Resilience in the Caribbean: A Health Lens” with Lyndon Forbes-Robertson, Head, Environmental Health and Sustainability at the Caribbean Public Health Agency (CARPHA) and the Coalition’s Corinne Schuster-Wallace as discussant (organizer: Rosmond Adams, Caribbean Public Health Agency).
- May 31, 2018 “The Water Crisis in Cape Town” with Dr. Kevin Winter, Senior Lecturer, Environmental & Geographical Science Department at the University of Cape Town, South Africa; and with Brett Walton, Circle of Blue as discussant (organizer: Nomusa Ngoma, Queen’s University).
- Sept. 27, 2018 “Impacts and Adaptive Strategies to Climate Change among Agro-pastoral Households in Tanzania” with Dr. Ronald Ndesanjo, Lecturer at the Institute of Development Studies, University of Dar es Salaam (organizer: Hayley Mundeva, SYPN member and founder/CEO of ThriveHire).
- Nov. 1, 2018 “Climate Change, Migration and Humanitarian Needs” with Linn Biorklund Belliveau, Research Consultant at Médecins Sans Frontières and Affiliate at the Centre for Refugee Studies, York University (organizer: Prativa Baral, SYPN member and Research Fellow, Global Strategy Lab).
- Dec. 4, 2018 “Webinar on Climate Proofing Maternal and Child Health Initiatives“ with Dr. Ronald Siemens, Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Pediatrics and Assistant Professor, Department of Community Health and Epidemiology, University of Saskatchewan (organizer: Corinne Schuster-Wallace, U of Saskatchewan)
- March 27, 2019 “Wildfires in BC: Health effects and system implications in a global perspective” with John Lavery, Executive Director of Health Emergency Management British Columbia (HEMBC) and with Sarah Henderson, Associate Professor, University of British Columbia and Senior Scientist, Environmental Health Services, BC Centre for Disease Control (organizer : Nicole Spence, Health Emergency Management BC, CCGHR Working Group on the Health Impacts of Climate Change).
- Climate Change Toolkit for Health Professionals
- MOOC on Climate Change and Health
- The 2019 Policy brief for Canada of the Lancet Countdown on Health and Climate Change
- The 2019 Report of The Lancet Countdown on Health and Climate Change: ensuring that the health of a child born today is not defined by a changing climate
- The #TalkingClimate Handbook. How to have conversations about climate change in your daily life
Working Group Co-Chairs
Corinne Wallace, University of Saskatchewan
David Zakuz, University of Toronto
To learn more or get involved, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.