Launching a Career in Global Health Webinar Series
The CCGHR SYPN has teamed up with ThriveHire to launch a webinar series focused on building a career in Global Health! The aim of the series is to provide information and insight on some of the less discussed challenges of a career in global health – from volunteering internationally, to navigating trauma and distress. See below for more information on the webinars we’ve hosted to date, and to view webinar recordings.
Webinars in 2020
- February 14, 2020: The series kicked off in 2020 with a special presentation on “Trauma and Distress in Global Health Work“. University of Toronto PhD Candidate, Corey McAuliffe discussed her ideas, reflections nd research within the area of trauma and distress in global health work.
- April 27, 2020: In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, this webinar highlighted the realities of various global health careers during a crisis. Titled “From Policy to Practice: Implications of COVID-19 at the Ground Level“, four panelists shared information about their roles, and discussed how they fit into the wider pandemic response ecosystem both locally and globally.
Webinars in 2019
- June 12, 2019: The inaugural webinar featured the SYPN’s very own, Nicola Toffelmire. Nicola is a WHO Technical Officer and former World Health Assembly Canadian youth delegate. Despite the session only being half hour, there was plenty of discussion and engagement between participants.
- August 13, 2019: This webinar put the spotlight on an under-discussed, but highly relevant topic in global health: the challenge of navigating volunteer opportunities. Rhonda Boateng, a Clinical Research Project Coordinator working at Sick Kids Hospital led the discussion, sharing her trials, tribulations and most importantly, tips for navigating unpaid work in global health.
- October 30, 2019: This webinar focused on working and volunteering internationally in global health, and knowing when it’s the right time to pursue such opportunities. Mira Ziolo, a CCGHR SYP member, Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, and current PhD candidate at UBC discussed her global health career journey, and some of her international experiences in Rwanda, Uganda and elsewhere.
- December 16, 2019: Marin MacLeod, who works with Grand Challenges Canada as a Knowledge Management & Translation Associate discussed her career journey, and shared some tips and tricks for landing an entry level position in global health.
We’re open to your suggestions for topics to cover, or speakers to highlight in this series. If you have suggestions, please connect with the SYPN Coordinator at email@example.com. Please contact ThriveHire at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have a question for any of the webinar guests. Stay tuned to the CCGHR and ThriveHire websites for information on the next webinar!