What is a CCGHR Student Chapter?
A CCGHR Student Chapter is a student-led initiative designed to foster research and networking in global health among University students across all disciplines and at all levels of University study (i.e., undergraduate, graduate). The goal of the Student Chapters is to bring together interdisciplinary students interested in global health research and provide a collaborative environment to enhance learning through educational discussions, seminars, and social networking.
Benefits of a Student Chapter
Student Chapters support the needs of students interested in pursuing global health research by facilitating networking, and mentorship opportunities. Student Chapters have access to CCGHR-affiliated Faculty and are connected with the broader CCGHR through the University Advisory Council, as well as the SYP Executive. These linkages provide an effective outlet for students to connect with faculty and engage in global health research at the local, national or international level.
Student Chapters also act as a platform to coordinate like-minded students and other global health clubs on campus. Student Chapter’s can coordinate with existing global health clubs on campus to convene global health experts and learners through networking events, speaker series, or advocacy projects. Student Chapter’s can also work to foster cross-institutional collaboration; in the past members from the Waterloo, McMaster and Brock student chapters worked together to organize a global health forum for undergraduate students.
Advantages of starting, or joining a Student Chapter at your institution include:
- Expand knowledge of key global health concepts, theories and trends
- Explore peer-to-peer mentorship by connecting with students from a range of academic disciplines and educational levels
- Connect and collaborate with students at other institutions involved with Student Chapters
- Engage with faculty members connected to the CCGHR at your institution, and get involved with global health research projects on a local or global level
- Gain professional development skills through networking and mentorship opportunities with the CCGHR membership, other Student Chapters, and the University Advisory Council
For more information on starting a student chapter at your institution please email the CCGHR Student Executive at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Want to start a student chapter at your school? Simply fill in our student chapter application form (below) to get started!
Student chapter application form: http://goo.gl/forms/Fz2VJjaLwkTpy3Qm2